Data breaches are an unfortunate reality in today’s digital world. Cybercriminals breach thousands of websites monthly, exposing sensitive personal information like names, addresses, security questions, and even social security numbers. To make matters worse, it can take months or even years for a company to notify individuals that their information has been compromised. That’s why it’s essential to protect yourself with knowledge and secure passwords.
Recent Breaches That May Impact You
- Microsoft Customer Data Breach – On October 19, 2022, Microsoft announced a breach that exposed customer data due to a misconfigured server. The breach potentially affected over 65,000 entities worldwide.
- Student Loan Breach – In July 2022, organizations EdFinancial and the Oklahoma Student Loan Authority notified over 2.5 million loan recipients that their personal information was at risk, including social security numbers, email addresses, home addresses, and phone numbers.
- U-Haul Data Breach – In August 2022, U-Haul notified clients of a compromise of rental contracts that exposed names, driver’s license numbers, and state identification numbers for over 2.2 million individuals.
- Neopets Breach – In 2022, an estimated 69 million Neopet accounts may have had emails and passwords leaked.
- Marriott Data Breach – In July 2022, Marriott suffered another breach due to an unsecured employee computer, leaking confidential information like credit card numbers for 300-400 individuals.
- Shield Health Care Group Data Breach – In March 2022, Shield Health Care Group detected a breach that exposed up to 2 million customer records, including medical records and social security numbers.
- Flagstar Bank Data Breach – In December 2021, Flagstar Bank suffered a breach that wasn’t identified for 6 months and exposed social security numbers for 1.5 million customers.
- Block Data Breach – In April 2022, Block (formerly Square) announced a breach from the previous December that exposed data for 8.2 million current and former customers, including names and brokerage account numbers.
- Crypto.com Breach – In January 2022, over 483 users had their Crypto.com wallets breached, with criminals stealing over $30 million in bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies.
How Secure Are Your Passwords?
Many solutions can help you better manage and secure your passwords. A password manager and Dark Web Monitoring are two great tools to help protect your company passwords from 3rd party breaches. Give us a call to learn more about protecting your personal data from a breach